The multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS) syndrome is a subjective illness that is triggered by repeated chemical exposures (usually odour). Studies points the causes at the following trigger chemicals (but not limited to):
- Gasoline (petrol) or diesel fuel
- Petroleum-based products, including petroleum jelly, tar, asphalt
- Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, and other agricultural chemicals
- Industrial cleaning chemicals, such as dry cleaning fluid
- Formaldehyde and aldehyde
- Glues, varnishes, polishes, paints, solvents, paint-thinners, and volatile organic compounds (VOC's)
- Bleach, fabric softeners, wool-wash, and laundry detergents
- Perfumes, lotion, after-shave lotion, nail polish, or skin care products
- Air-fresheners, deodorizers and scented candles
- Shampoos, hairsprays and hair care products
- Dishwashing liquid and dishwasher detergent
- Marking pens, such as highlighters
Symptoms often vary drastically due to lack of clearly defined criteria for this syndrome and also varies person to person. However it is generally known that symptoms do occur more often and are more serious to women than men.
Specific symptoms include (in relation with the trigger) :
- Petrol fumes: dizziness, nausea, headache.
- Formaldehyde : stinging eyes & nose, breathlessness.
- Paint fumes: headache, flu-like symptoms, nausea.
- Tap water: itching skin, eczema, breathlessness.
- Magazines: breathlessness, wheezing.
- Newspapers: breathlessness, headache.
- Sugar: stomach ache, bloatedness, nausea.
- Flour improvers: stomach pain, digestive upset.
- Aspirin: wheezing, eczema, skin problems.
- Tartrazine: wheezing, breathlessness, eczema.
- Perfumes: asthma-like problems, skin problems.
- Cosmetics: skin problems, breathlessness.
- Cleaning products: wheezing, eczema, nausea.
- Jewellery: skin irritation, itching.
- Cigarette smoke: wheezing, headache, nausea.
- Department stores: wheezing, stinging eyes, fatigue.
- Electrical appliances: multiple problems.
- Isocyanate: asthma-like, headache, nausea, eyes itch.
- Furniture treatments: headache, asthma-like symptoms.
One of the treatment for MCSS is chemical and toxic avoidance, although this may seem very difficult and unpractical in today's material driven society, organic products definitely began to ease the chemical burden on people who suffer from MCSS. Additionally since many individual who suffer MCSS shows similar symptoms to chronic depression and anxiety disorders, psychotherapy has shown to be somewhat effective.
Why Organic Lifestyle?
Our mission is to reduce your exposure to toxic chemicals in the home by carrying products that are organic- ie., products made with little/no chemical exposure like pesticides or toxic dyes, taking everything from the earth and surrounding air into consideration. We work closely with like-minded independent green businesses and our range includes everything from men's, women's & baby clothing, made with organic cotton, to mattresses that employs the natural fire retardant properties of organic wool (as opposed to fire retardant chemicals in conventional mattresses).
We aim to cater to our customers looking for petroleum-free, latex-free, BPA-free, PBDE-free. All our products are certified free of pesticides, flame retardant chemicals and formaldehyde.
What is MCS?
Are your clothes becoming intolerable?